Thousands of protesters joined a 2 mile ‘March for Europe’ demonstration to declare their outrage at the result of the EU referendum announced week, whereby over 51.9 percent of the UK population voted to leave the European Union while the remaining 48.1 percent opted to vote in favour of remaining.

An estimated 30,000 people took part in the rally as roads were closed across the capital to make way for demonstrators as they headed towards Parliament Square. Co-organised by Kings College graduate Kieran MacDermott via social media less than a week ago, he said:

“We can prevent Brexit by refusing to accept the referendum as the final say and take our finger off the self-destruct button. Let's not leave the next generation adrift. We can provide the ammunition parliament needs to reason their way through this mess and reconsider Brexit, if we make a stand."

Similarly co-organiser, comedian Mark Thomas, wanted to address his ‘anger, frustration and need to do something’.

“We would accept the result of the referendum if it was fought on a level playing field. But it was full of misinformation and people need to do something with their frustration,” he said.

MacDermott and Thomas led the rally, whilst followers held placards reading ‘we love EU’ amongst comedic puns such as ‘Eton Mess’ and ‘I want to be deep inside of EU’ in a bid to try and stop the government from triggering Article 50, which will start the formal proceedings of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

Protesters amassed in front of Parliament as speakers including Labour MP for Tottenham David Lammy and musician Bob Geldof vented their views.

"We need to individually organise ourselves. Organise those around us and do everything possible within our individual power to stop this country being totally destroyed," Mr Geldof said.

The mood of the crowd summed up the frustration at the lack of leadership and forward-planning after the outcome of the referendum.